Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Yogurt Chicken, Curried Potatoes & Golden Basmati Rice

The family next door to us is from India. Their son is the same age as Aubrey and their daughter is six months younger than Hayden. Any time they have any sort of celebration, they invite our family over to eat and eat and eat. They even expect Drew's brother, his wife and my step-brother to join the party since they're always at our house.

The last time they brought food over was after Drew mowed their lawn. I resisted as much as I could since it was Ten at night and really, I didn't need to indulge that late.. but it's just so tasty! Renu, my neighbor, even knows to let me know which items don't have as much heat since I can't handle much.

My friend Trish just finished up a week of lettuce wraps on her blog and one evening they enjoyed indian inspired cuisine.

I decided I was going to give it a whirl... I'm so glad I did!

Yogurt Chicken
1 cup plain yogurt
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in small pieces
1 small onion, slivered
1/4 cup scallions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons chili sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Let stand in refrigerator at least 1 hour. Longer is better.

Heat large skillet over medium high heat. Pour chicken and yogurt mixture into hot skillet. Cook and stir till chicken is cooked through and sauce has slightly thickened. 10 - 15 minutes.

My variation: I used a 1.25 lb package of Chicken Tenders and I did NOT have scallions or chili sauce to use.


Curried Peas and Potatoes
1 Tablespoon butter
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 (15 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 pound diced, raw, potato
1 1/2 cup frozen green peas
1 teaspoon garam masala
4 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped

In a large saucepan, saute the onion in the butter over medium low heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and saute for one more minute. Add the cumin, turmeric and coriander. Cook and stir till spices are fragrant. About 1 minute.

Add the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the potatoes, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the peas and cook for 10 more minutes. Stir in the garam masala. Cook one more minute.

Just before serving, top with chopped cilantro.

My variation: I forgot to buy peas! Details, details. Oh well. I also forgot to buy ginger.

Golden Basmati Rice
2 Cups Basmati Rice
4 Cups Water
1/2 tsp Cumin Seed
3/4 tsp tumeric
1/3 chopped onion
1/2 tsp salt (stirred in at the end)

Combine all ingredients except salt in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer, cover and let cook 15-20 minutes. Use a glass lid if possible.

Check after 15 minute and let it continue to cook till the water's gone. If it starts to stick on the bottom don't worry; take it off the heat.

Let the rice sit, mostly covered, for 7-10 minutes. This time will allow the rice to firm a little, and none will be stuck to the pot.


The above is how I prepared the rice, it's slightly different than the original recipe (you can get to the link by clicking on the recipe title). It made a TON! Next time I'll probably make half.

I also soaked the rice for 30 min. and then rinsed and drained until water until it ran clear.


I looove the yogurt sauce that my neighbor always has available at her meals. I've asked for a recipe before but rather than giving it to me, she just gives me some. So at the beginning of the prep time I sent Aubrey over to get the recipe and not return until she had it. It worked!

Yogurt Sauce
1 cup Plain Nonfat Yogurt
1/2 a bunch of Cilantro
1/2 of a tomato
1 clove garlic
1-2 jalapenos depending on desired heat
Salt to taste

Combined in a food processor and serve.

I don't have a food processor. But I do have a vita mix blender. Which liquidized everything. Oops. So then I mixed that into additional yogurt so it was the right texture and added more cilantro. It was good.. but not as good as Renu's.

Mine's on the left.. Renu's on the right. Yes, Renu's... I'll explain more in a minute.

So this is how it all went down..

I was about 10 minute in and feeling like I belonged on Top Chef.. I was mixing this and adding that and nothing was burning. Then, there was a knock at the door. Which I ignored. I was busy!! Plus, I didn't shower this morning after I worked out and never put any make up on.. and I was wearing a fitted tank top that was not flattering to my "I've had 4 kids" tummy (plus I hate my arms). But I was comfortable so that was fine...

Well in walks Renu.

Her: Becky? What are you doing?

Me: (resisting the urge to throw that same question back to her) Umm.... cooking.

Her: I thought you never cooked.. Aubrey said you were going to make something but I didn't think you were serious. But I could smell Indian food outside so I had to check it out.

Me: (walking around Kaitlyn who was stepping in and out of all of the pots and pans that she had pulled out) Yeah, I know.. apparently I eat out too much, huh. But my friend made it sound easy so I figured I'd give it a try.

Drew: (who walks in the door) Smells good, Oh Hi Renu, did you bring dinner over?

Renu: Nope, it's your wife's doing! Did you know she can cook?

It was all slightly awkward, at least for me.

Especially since she stayed. She stirred everything around and told me what to do.. like the chicken, it says it's supposed to have a sauce.. she said to cook it until it's gone and then add butter. I reminded her I was making these Weight Watcher friendly (which she's interested in) so she had me get out the fat free 1/2 and 1/2 and stir 3 TBS in. I figured by the end that it would just be best to let her do what she does every day as long as it was still healthful.

And then she saw my sorry attempt at the yogurt sauce and had Aubrey go back home with her so she could make me some
real sauce. lol Hers tastes that much better so I was fine with that. I took pictures while I waited for Aubrey to return.

Reviews: Aubrey and Drew looooved it! They were very happy sweaty people and ate a lot. Drew is exicted for the leftovers tomorrow.

Me: I lreally liked it and the portions were big! Yum. About half way through I started getting hot and my mouth was burning so I had to mix my yogurt sauce (a little spicy) with fat free ranch dip that I had on hand and then eat almost every bite with a little sauce. Gotta do what ya gotta do. ;o)

Can't wait to make this again! I'll have to post the individual point values later.. my CC expired and I guess the monthly billing was just done because it's saying it needs the new exp. date.. but my purse is across the room. I'm tired. Sorry about that.




4 comments:

  1. I'm glad the recipes were a hit.
    I'm sure the garam masala was the source of the heat. Next time you buy some look at the ingredients and see if you can find one without cayenne or any other hot spice in it. I can't wait till my bottle is gone so I can get one with more heat. But mine was Spice Hunter clearanced for 99 cents. How could I pass that up?
    I'm definitely going to try your friend's yogurt sauce. Raita, right? YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Hey! Ask your friend if she knows how to make the other sauce that is always available at Indian Restaurants. It's green. And HOT so you probably wouldn't like it. LOL But I love it and would love to make some. I'm sure there is cilantro, peppers (maybe jalapeno) and lime involved. But that sounds more Mexican than Indian so there must be something else.
    I would love you (and her) forever if she could tell me how to make it. TIA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't pass up .99 cents either. Mine was $4. My neighbor was mad I didn't just get some from her.. she said her stuff is better. lol

    Oh, and she used regular yogurt for the Raita (guessing that's what it is).. actually, Aubrey said she makes her own. I had grabbed non fat at the store so that's what I used.

    For the sauce you love, do you dip food into it or is it somthing you pour on? Maybe it will help in describing it to her. LOL

    And yeah, I'm sure I wouldn't like it. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dip my fork in it to season each bite of my food.
    It's a condiment.

    *I hope this works. Yesterday Blogger wouldn't show the the word verification box so I couldn't comment. Grrr!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!!